Make a local champion feel like a Commonwealth Champion
On 9 October 2013, the Queen’s Baton Relay began its epic journey around the 70 nations and territories of the Commonwealth. It won’t be long before the baton returns to Scotland – and you could be a part of its final journey here in Dumfries & Galloway on Thursday 19th June !
The baton holding Her Majesty The Queen’s message will cross continents, terrains and time zones. Once it has been through the Commonwealth it will come home to Scotland on 14 June 2014 to spend 40 days visiting communities in all 32 Local Authority areas. On 23 July 2014 the baton will be delivered back to Her Majesty at the Opening Ceremony where the 288 day relay will conclude and the Games officially begin.
Glasgow 2014 needs up to 4,000 batonbearers to help carry the baton around Scotland on the final leg of its journey. Opportunities don’t come much bigger than this and we need your help to find our batonbearers! You can nominate a family member, friend or someone you know for a position. We’re looking for people who have:
• made a positive contribution to the lives of others through community sport;
• undertaken voluntary work or contributed to schools or youth organisations;
• contributed towards greater inclusion for disadvantaged or marginalised sectors of the community;
• been a role model or mentor to youth through sport;
• displayed a level of individual achievement against the odds;
• made a significant contribution to their local community
Nominations are open to anybody 12 years of age or above and nominations close 17.00 on 22 November December 2013. To find out more and to nominate someone go to http://www.glasgow2014.com/baton-relay and give Scotland’s local champions a thank you they’ll never forget.